Japanese knotweed information
There’s no denying that Japanese knotweed is a troublemaker, causing headaches and nightmares for those unfortunate enough to own property that is affected by its presence.
Why is Japanese Knotweed a problem?
The threat that it presents led to Japanese knotweed (aka Fallopia japonica) being listed on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act and it is now regarded as number one on the invasive weed hit-list. Here’s why:
- Able to thrive virtually anywhere in the UK, Japanese knotweed out-competes our native plants and, with no natural predators, can quite literally take over huge areas of land.
- Where it gets a foothold in urban centres, the associated problems are magnified by knotweed’s ability to sneak into built structures through its rhizomes (underground stems) where it can cause extensive damage to building foundations, walls, pavements, roads and services.
Of course, mortgage lenders don’t like this type of threat, and so will refuse lending on properties impacted by the weed unless it is placed under a Japanese knotweed management plan by a PCA accredited specialist like PBA Solutions. Councils and police forces now even have the power to serve Community Protection Notices against individuals or organisations who allow knotweed to spread from their properties.
Japanese Knotweed Control: Is it impossible?
Despite the hype, it’s not impossible to control Japanese knotweed although, please don’t be fooled, it really isn’t possible to kill an infestation in one hit. It mustn’t be ignored, as your knotweed problem will only get worse and cost more to remediate the longer it’s left. If you have Japanese knotweed on your property you have a responsibility to control it and prevent its spread to other properties.
If you think you’ve found Japanese knotweed, use our free ‘ID My Weed’ service. If you’re certain that you have the invasive weed on your property and need a Japanese knotweed management plan, simply Book a Survey here or give us a call on 0203 174 2187 or 01202 816 134.
- Japanese Knotweed
- Knotweed Mortgage Compliance
- Japanese Knotweed Guarantees
- Survey & Appraisal
- Management Plans
- Knotweed Control Options
- Identifying Japanese Knotweed
- Declaring Japanese Knotweed
- What we do
- Root Barrier
- Invasive Weeds
- About PBA
- Contact Us
JAPANESE KNOTWEED IDENTIFICATION
MORTGAGE-COMPLIANT TREATMENT PROGRAMMES
HERBICIDE TREATMENT OPTIONS
KNOTWEED AND LEGISLATION
DECLARING JAPANESE KNOTWEED (FORM TA6)
KNOTWEED CONTROL METHODS